"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Creme Citron

It is tragic that Epicurious doesn't have this recipe for you to look at--this one is a keeper in my opinion and if you want it too let me know and I'll type it in.

The idea is a lemon-white wine custard base--you know, one you have to cook up to 170--cooled and folded in with lemon zest and whipped heavy cream. Then it's layered with raspberries, parfait style.

The result is lemony, not-too-sweet, and light (though not calorically, of course, with the eggs and h. cream) and the white wine adds a nice complexity to the flavor. I know some folks don't like booze in their food, but I'm not one of them.

Hey people, summer is pretty much at an end, so if you haven't done SOMETHING yet with stone fruits or berries, for heaven's sake put some in the freezer while you can still get them cheap (and ripe). You'll thank me in February.

No comments: