"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Grilled Mackerel with Spicy Tomato Jam and Blueberry Tart

Is there anything sadder than one person faced with four whole grilled mackerel and nobody to share them with?

Yes. When the recipe sucks.

Grilled Mackerel with Spicy Tomato Jam actually has potential. I thought the fish were great--I just kept thinking, "there has to be a better accompaniment than this!" The spicy tomato jam would have been better if it was more complicated, more like a chutney. But still, I think what I really longed for was something involving mustard, or horseradish, or even a curry mayonnaise. I'm new to the world of mackerel-eating, so I don't know what flavors people choose to spice it up. But next time, for me, it will NOT be Spicy Tomato Jam! Yuck.

*********

On the other hand, the Blueberry Tart was a real delight. This tart has a butter-cookie crust, and is filled with a combination of fresh blueberries folded into cooked ones. The cooked ones have a shot of unflavored gelatin to help them stiffen up, and a slice of this tart, cold out of the fridge, is satisfyingly "meaty" (sorry, I can't think of a better way to describe it)--it's solid, juicy, and you really feel like you're eating something substantial, which is not normally how you feel eating a fruit dessert. I think it's the combination of the crust (which does not crumble or flake away) with the berry mix which stays in one place thanks to the gelatin. Epicurious does not have this recipe listed so if you want it, ask, and I'll type it in.

No comments: