"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Green Tomato Pickles



No, I haven't been time traveling, or even traveling to warmer climes where they might be far enough along in the growing season to have green tomatoes

Last summer I put up six quart of green tomatoes at work (where there were a lot of green tomatoes) and after six months of setting I decided to open up a jar and check them out.

I have to confess I'm a little fussy in the pickle department. I don't like sweet, or bread and butter pickles. I don't like pickles that are dilled, but just salty. I like vinegary dill pickles.

This recipe for Green Tomato Pickles lacks vinegar, or at least enough for my taste. But fortunately, this is an easy thing to tinker with--after tasting them (and don't forget, I have six quarts) I poured off half the brine and poured in white and brown rice vinegar. We'll give them a week and see if the flavor changes enough (for me). In the meantime, family who might be reading, if salty, dilly things are YOUR favorites, step right up. I've got five more jars looking for homes.

No comments: