"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Broiled Eggplant with Cilantro Vinaigrette

You know, I've made this recipe twice in the past 48 hours, and it's only now, sitting down to write about it, that I realize I left out a major ingredient--both times.

That would be the cumin--my eyes just skimmed right over that. But both times I was rushing--the first was at work when I was hustling to get dinner on the table, the second was about an hour later when I was making the same vinaigrette for the eggplant my friend Moira had baked at home.

Well, if you too happen to leave out the cumin accidentally, don't despair. It's a lovely garlic-herb vinaigrette without it, and it goes great with the eggplant.

I will try this again (with the cumin) because eggplant is so beautiful and glossy right now. It's great to have another technique for this vegetable in the repertoire.

No comments: