"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Proscuitto and Parmesan-Stuffed Mushrooms




Oh, people.

These mushrooms are so good.

One of the things I try to do a little bit when the family is in the house is to switch up hors d'oeuvres. It's easy enough (and very quick) to serve cheese, fruit and crackers every night and practically criminal NOT to, since the Fruitful Basket carries such divine cheese. Also, truthfully, I focus far more on the main event, which is dessert, of course.

No, I'm kidding. But dessert is tied for first place with priorities, and hors d'oeuvres are usually an afterthought for me. This should be pretty clear by how many recipes I haven't cooked out of this chapter!

Well, I'm trying to mend my ways, and this was a good place to start. The recipe isn't online, but it's easy enough to grasp--saute the mushroom stems with onion and garlic, then toss with chopped proscuitto, parmesan, parsley and some olive oil. Stuff and bake.

One of my main objections to stuffed mushrooms--too bland--is resolved brilliantly by the proscuitto.

My other one--mushrooms so big you can't eat them gracefully as finger food--I resolved myself by buying normal sized mushrooms instead of large ones as the recipe directs.

Call me a rebel. I don't care. These mushrooms are fantastic. I could make a meal of them. You won't have any leftovers, I promise.

1 comment:

Karen said...

The mushrooms sound great! I'm in favor of using smaller schrooms, too. We're such dainty little things!

Great blog!