"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Monday, October 20, 2008

Bulgur Pilaf with Pine Nuts, Raisins, and Orange Zest



I am in a grainy mood.

Usually my association with whole grains is limited to my morning intake of bran cereal and the occasional slice of whole wheat bread. And in the winter, oatmeal. I can take or leave rice (especially brown rice, thank you), I don't like the taste of kasha, and there's something that's just too dry about grain-based salads or sides.

But the Creamy Parmesan Polenta that I made a few weeks ago rocked my world, and I looked upon the Grains and Beans chapter with a much more optimistic attitude after that.

So it was that I made Baked Polenta with Parmesan and Bulgur Pilaf with Pine Nuts, Raisins, and Orange Zest last week. More on the Baked Polenta soon, but for now let me tell you that the Bulgur Pilaf (recipe not online) was superb.

The more I cook, the more I worship citrus. I will guarantee you right now--lay down money--that anything that you aspire to make--anything-- will be enhanced by including either the juice or the zest of lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit.

OK, to be truthful I've never used grapefruit zest in anything but candied grapefruit peel...wait, that's not true. I made some amazing pot de cremes once using the combined peels of grapefruit, orange and lemon. Boy, were those good.

Yay, citrus!



This pilaf is delicious, and it's a nice change of pace from the usual bulgur manifestation, tabouli. It's also seasonal, with the nuts and dried fruit so roast a chicken and serve this on the side. You'll thank me later.

1 comment:

Liz T. said...

I love me some grains. I sure wish the recipe was online - I can't be buying the book just for one recipe since I've sworn off buying more cook books. Pooh.