"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Brioche Loaf

I know I promised to write the next day to tell you how the brioche turned out, and then I didn't...but I can tell you that it is a remarkably sturdy bread considering how tender it is--very serviceable. I used it all week for lunch.

I thought the dough looked like cake batter, and the finished result does look very cake-like--sort of pound-cake-ish. My one disappointment with it was that it didn't rise in the oven much at all--really just to the edge of the pan. I thought I might try another recipe a la Madeleine Kamman, but one of her recipes is a very laborious hand-mixing method, and the other one is for large-scale production. Still, with both of them she starts the oven off high and lowers it to 375 and I think I might try that. Sunday is often a bread-baking day for me so perhaps today is the day; I'll have to see what's going on at work.

No comments: