"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Monday, August 13, 2007

Squash, Tomatoes and Corn with Jack Cheese, or a recipe for Linda

For those of you new to my blog, I should explain that The Gourmet Cookbook, Gourmet Magazine and Epicurious are all run (printed?) by the same folks. This makes my life easy, because many, most of the recipes in The Gourmet Cookbook can be found on Epicurious so I can provide a link that will take you right there.

Every once in a while I won't be able to find a particular recipe on Epicurious, and then you'll see it highlighted in bold, but not linked to anything. Since I'm never really truly sure that anybody except my mother (and Ruth, and Eve) are reading, I default to my lazy writer's mode and don't type in the recipe, but I certainly am happy to do so!

Therefore, I give you Squash, Tomatoes and Corn with Jack Cheese, for Linda, who asked.

Serves 6-8

3 tbsp. veg oil
1 med onion, chopped
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 lg. tomates, halved, seeded and chopped
2 lbs. yellow summer squash or zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (from 3 ears)
2 cups coarsely grated Monteray Jack cheese (about 6 oz)
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, squash, and corn, increase heat to moderate, and cook, stirring, until squash is tender, 10-12 minutes.

Reduce heat to low, stir in cheese, salt, and pepper, and simmer, covered, just until cheese is melted, about 30 seconds.

I'm not sure this can measure up to the fabulous food Ira cooked during my lovely visit with him and Linda, but it should hit the spot, or at least one of them. Bon appetit!

No comments: