"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Burnt Orange Panna Cotta



I've never made panna cotta before, so I was looking forward to trying this recipe out. I'm sorry to say I was a little disappointed in Burnt Orange Panna Cotta, but I haven't given up hope for ALL panna cottas.

I'm not sure what it was about this dessert that just didn't do it for me. Maybe it was that the caramel (yes, another dish with caramel) added a bitter note. Maybe it was that it wasn't quite sweet enough to offset that tiny hint of bitterness. Maybe it just wasn't the right time of year and would have gone over better in the summer when ANYTHING cool and creamy hits the spot.

Dr. and Mrs. S. didn't love it either, although the first time I served it I gussied it up with Grand Marnier and fresh orange slices. I mean, they ate it (and particularly loved the Grand Marnier) but every time I offered it as a dessert option afterwards, they always chose the other dessert, whatever that other dessert happened to be.

Oh well. There are a few other panna cottas in the book, along with some other creamy, eggy, pudding-y recipes, and I'll wait until the weather is warmer.

P.S. That's not my panna cotta, up there on top. Somebody's mum in Melbourne, Australia made it. Looks good, doesn't it?

No comments: