"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Gimlets


Another refreshing alcoholic beverage, courtesy of Gourmet Today! Oh Gourmet Today, with your luscious, lime-green cover, is there any need you can't fill? I await the next version, which perhaps will have a chapter on food and intimacy, and then I'll never have to leave the house again, except perhaps to resupply.

Gimlets!

A stunningly simple drink that is fantastically delicious if you love the components, which I do--gin, and Rose's lime juice. It's said this drink was invented by the British Navy in the 1800s as a way to convince sailors to take their daily ration of scurvy-preventing lime juice. Very innovative! Makes me look kindly on the British Navy, who also by the way preserved Admiral Nelson's body in a barrel of rum so they could get him home in shape for a state funeral. The things you can do with alcohol!

Should you be likewise inclined to prevent scurvy in your house, here's the recipe for 2 gimlets: 1/2 cup gin, 2 tablespoons Rose's lime juice. Shake shake shake in a cocktail shaker, and either pour over ice into a rocks glass or strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

You may have noticed, by the way, that although I stated earlier that I'd be blogging about Drinks, Vegetarian Main Courses, and Grilled Dishes, I haven't really explored the other two. That's because when I come home at night I don't say, Man, I could use a Tempeh Burger!

But I will! I'll get there, it just won't be as quickly. Stay tuned!


1 comment:

Georgia said...

Ginger ale gimlet: ginger ale, Rose's lime juice, lime wedge, ice.