"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Catfish Fillets with Pecan Butter Sauce and Poached Leeks with Warm Vinaigrette

The Catfish Fillets with Pecan Butter Sauce is a great way to prepare catfish, or any other kind of fish, most likely. It has all the components of deliciousness--something that's floured and fried, topped with butter, lemon and nuts. How can you go wrong? My only complaint about this dish is that I personally don't really like catfish. There's some flavor there that is off-putting to me--local shrimp have the same thing going on. I have hypothesized in the past that it's iodine, but I am most likely making that up.

However, Dr. and Mrs. S. seemed quite keen about it, so that makes it a success in my book. Mrs. S. in particular likes pecans (and butter) so I figured it would go over well.

The Poached Leeks with Warm Vinaigrette (no link, sorry) almost qualify as comfort food. The leeks are poached until they're soft (the book calls for--laughably--veal stock as a poaching liquid, but allows that water will work just fine. I used home made vegetable stock.)and topped with a warm, mustardy vinaigrette. The leeks are prepared using one of my all-time favorite methods, which is throw it in the oven and forget about it. The vinaigrette can also be made in advance and heated at the last minute, so if you've got a million other things going on stove-top, this recipe is a boon.

How did they go over? Dr. S., who apprehensively poked at it on first sight, cleaned his plate. I'd say that's a pretty good recommendation.

No comments: