"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Liptauer Cheese: Take Two and Deviled Eggs

I finally got around to trying the Liptauer Cheese again, this time with minced anchovy fillets instead of anchovy paste, and you know what? The darn stuff needed salt.

To be fair (to the recipe, not to me) two minced anchovy fillets is the equivalent in volume to about a teaspoon of anchovy paste, and I squirted in about TWO teaspoons last time (possibly even more). OK--my bad.

I'll really get a feel for the finished product when I get back after my days off--it needs a while to set and let those caraway seeds get soft.

When I decided to make Deviled Eggs yesterday it seemed like a ridiculously simple recipe to have in a cookbook, and besides, how could they possibly be better than my mother's deviled eggs?

Well, this is a simple recipe (although they invite you to "make it your own" by adding herbs of your choice, or putting in half mayo, half plain yogurt) and you know what? I think my mom must have gotten her recipe from Gourmet. They looked pretty (because I piped them in with a faux pastry bag, which is a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off)and tasted great, but my greatest reward was the absolute delight with which they were greeted by Dr. S., who said, "My favorite!" The two of them acted as if I had set down manna from heaven but restrained themselves to eating three out of the six (two for him, one for her).

"That's OK," I said, "Miranda can convert them into egg salad tomorrow" (as if egg salad has less cholesterol). "Please don't," said Dr. S.--"they're perfect just the way they are!" You can't get a better recommendation than that.

No comments: