"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Tandoori-Spiced Chicken Thighs

This recipe sports a long list of ingredients, but don't be scared. If you have an even moderately well-stocked spice cabinet you probably have most if not all of these spices on hand. Epicurious doesn't have the exact recipe, but the whole idea with any tandoori marinade as far as I can tell is that it uses plain yogurt as a base and you want to marinate the chicken for at least 8 hours or even over night.

So this one calls for onion, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, salt, turmeric, cumin, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg, cinnamon, and coriander. See what I mean? Long, not exotic.

This recipe was only slightly aggravating for me because it calls for boneless, skinless thighs (which do exist in the world, but not at the Rockport IGA), so I boned and skinned 8 of them. That was just enough for six diners.

The nice thing about this recipe (besides the fact that it tastes great) is that it's a lovely yellow color, so if you're a person who likes color on the plate, this recipe is for you. I served it with broccoli, salad, rice and my mom's carrot souffle--so it was a very pretty plate! If my mom is nice she will post the recipe for the souffle in a follow-up to this post. The sweetness complemented the tandoori chicken perfectly, but I hesitate to report what was in it and will let her do that. I can only tell you it's from Southern Living, so if you've ever cooked from them you know what you're in for.

(If you haven't, I can sum it up in one word. Butter.)

No comments: