"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Monday, April 23, 2007

Whole Wheat Pita Bread and Pickled Carrot Sticks

If you are looking for a winner of a recipe, look no further than Pickled Carrot Sticks. They're easy, they keep forever, they are DELICIOUS, and best of all, for people who are constantly looking for help with their diets, they are no-fat and practically no-calorie.

The only problem you might run into is finding dill seed, which for some reason seems to be elusive in the spice aisle, at least where I am. But persevere. You'll thank me.

The Whole Wheat Pita Breads were a new experience for me--not the dough part, or risings or all that jazz, but the way they're baked, which is for three short minutes directly on the oven rack in a 500 oven. I was so surprised by those directions that I went back and read them twice to make sure I was getting it right.

How did it go? Well, one of them stuck and broke half off onto the electric element below, where it started a small fire, but other than that it was ok. I didn't quite trust the cooking times for the first batch and so they were a little crispy, but I stuck exactly to the recipe for the second batch. I served these with lunch, with a salad and quiche. When I sampled my own I tried to open it up to make a pocket and was not entirely successful, but I still ate it with butter and it was very agreeable. I think the trick to opening them in pockets is serving them warm. I'm not sure I'd make this every day, or even every month, but I'm glad I tried it at least once.

No comments: