"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Monday, April 23, 2007

Whole Grain Pancakes and Watermelon Rind Chutney

No, I didn't serve these together, they were separated by hours of time. If you hadn't noticed already, I cooked a heck of a lot of food yesterday--Sundays are my long shift, from 8am to 8pm. And I'm only telling you about the food that's in the cookbook!

After Ruth's Pancakes last week, I was pretty keen to try out the Whole Grain Pancakes. (no link, sorry.) I made the variation with blueberries. The element I was most pleased with was their suggestion to add a little lemon juice to the maple syrup if it's too intense, and that's the best suggestion I've heard all year, practically. The pancakes themselves were very pleasant and if you're trying to fit whole grains into your diet it would fit the bill nicely since it also includes corn meal.

The Watermelon Rind Chutney...I like it, but I have some issues with it. The first one is personal, which is that I think it's way too spicy for Dr. and Mrs. S., so I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do with all that chutney. The second is that when I did serve it, I had to mince it up so it would fit well on top of a cracker with cream cheese. The recipe directs you to cut the rind into half inch cubes, but I think 1/4 inch would be more like it for crackers, sandwiches, whatever. If I were to do it again I would probably pulse the rind in batches in the food processor. If you are a fan of hot pepper jelly you will love this recipe so give it a try--you can regulate the temp by maybe not putting BOTH of the two green hot peppers.

No comments: