"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Scallops Provencale and Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Scallops Provencale is, as the book says, a great weeknight supper because it's so easy. My only problem with the recipe was that my pan was so hot from cooking the scallops that it fried the garlic too quickly...and that garlic continued to cook with the tomatoes. Garlic that is over-fried turns bitter--there's a very fine line that takes a split second to cross. It was redeemed by the sweet juices from the scallops and the added salt, but when I make this again (and I will) I'll get the garlic out of the pan once it hits that perfect shade of gold and add it back in at the end.

Once a year, I just have to make something that involves strawberry and rhubarb together. Rhubarb is one of those rare items that DOESN'T show up in the markets year-round, so it must be celebrated! (Can you think of more? Fiddleheads is another...) If I can organize myself this year I'll chop and freeze some to extend the pleasure, because The Gourmet Cookbook offers quite a few recipes that feature rhubarb: Rhubarb Anise Upside-Down Cake; Rhubarb Charlotte; Roasted Rhubarb Tarts with Strawberry Sauce; Rhubarb Roulade; Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble; and Warm Tapioca Pudding with Rhubarb. Phew! Don't you wish you had a rhubarb patch out back now?

I picked the Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble, since strawberries were on sale. It's your standard crisp/crumble recipe, involving rolled oats, flour, butter and sugar--the only odd thing about the recipe is that it asks you to bake it in a 425 oven. For 40 to 50 minutes. When I took mine out at 40 minutes the top was a little scorched! So should you go with this recipe (and you'll have to own the book to do that since I can't find it on Epicurious) turn the oven down. To, say, 375. Bon appetit! (Hmm, now what should I do with the rest of that rhubarb?)

No comments: