"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Crisp Sauteed Cabbage with Caraway and Pignoli Cookies

I'm not going to spend too much time on the Sauteed Cabbage with Caraway except to say that it was very nice, just fine, a pleasant way to use up cabbage that's been kicking around in the fridge.

What I really want to do is skip right to the Pignoli Cookies, which are SO GOOD that I think I need an intervention. They're made with almond paste and egg whites, which gives them a sweet, chewy texture at room temp, and when they're just out of the freezer (that's where I store all of these delicious cookies at work so I can keep many varieties on hand) they are delightfully crispy. My mouth is watering just writing about them, that's how pathetic I am. Thank god I don't have them at home.

Almond paste is a little esoteric--Crosby's in Manchester just happened to have it but I never have seen it at Shaw's. And note that almond paste is NOT marzipan--same idea but much less sugar. Also the recipe calls for optionally piping the cookies in little rounds, which I did but I think if you have a melon baller with a slider bar that would work just as well. I did read on the epicurious page somebody talking about shaping them with wet hands. The point is, they're sticky. I didn't use anywhere near the number of pine nuts they called for either which is good because those suckers cost money.

Enjoy these cookies. But don't blame me if you eat all 3 1/2 dozen yourself--I gave you fair warning.

No comments: