"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Dacquoise and Pecan Pie Bars

What, you may be asking, is a dacquoise? Elementary, my dear!

dac·quoise (d-kwz)
n.
1. A cake made with layers of nut meringue and whipped cream or buttercream.
2. One of the layers of meringue used in this cake.

Here are some photos of dacquoise I did not bake so you can get an idea of what they look like.





Now, I know what you're thinking: No way, Jose. Too complicated. But really that's because you don't know yet how easy it is!

If you've ever whipped eggs whites and made ANYTHING meringue, this is familiar territory. Ditto for making homemade frosting/custard/whipped cream of any sort. You just slap the two together and you've got heaven on earth.

I cannot describe the sensation of biting into a nutty meringue that is layered with rich, coffee buttercream (except thinking, OMG, I wonder how many calories I just consumed?, followed by, f*ck it, I think I'll have some more.)

I need hardly say that this particular dessert was dispatched by five people in less than 24 hours (with a tiny little bit of help from me).

*************************

Pecan Pie Bars are a great way to get into the fall mindset. Ever so slowly I'm moving away from berries and stone fruits, and starting to think about fall ingredients: squash, nuts, apples, pears... Tomatoes and corn are still going strong (as are zucchini), but with these chilly nights and crisp-clear days suddenly soups and stews are taking center stage.

So get in the mood with these babies:




The best thing about them is that they DON'T have the goopy-ness that pecan pie does--just the nuts, bound with caramel, on top of shortbread. I wonder if I could get away with these at Thanksgiving?

No comments: