"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Shrimp and Corn with Basil, Frangipane Tart with Strawberries and Raspberries

Shrimp with Corn and Basil is SO easy, and SO yummy (given that you like the ingredients)that you might, just might, find that it's a weeknight staple.

Its virtues:
-takes less than 10 minutes
-involves one cutting board, one skillet, and one knife
-ingredients are fairly inexpensive, if you buy frozen imported shrimp and have basil in your garden
-did I mention it's yummy?

Here's one of the magical things that happens during the cooking of this dish--the butter melds with the fresh corn milk and it makes a spontaneous sauce. Yeah. Of course you can't cheat and use frozen corn niblets if you want this effect.

You will be so pleased with yourself if you make the Frangipane Tart with Strawberries and Raspberries! I know I was. Fruit tarts are just so darn pretty, I defy anybody not to gaze upon them with the admiration you might reserve for a work of art. Mine looked like a flower, with the raspberries clustered at the center and the strawberries overlapping like petals radiating from the middle. I took 8 pictures of it with my cell phone camera but haven't figured out how to get those photos from my camera to my computer--if anybody knows please enlighten me.

And what, you may be asking, is "frangipane"?

frangipane
frangipani

Originally a jasmine perfume which gave its name to an almond cream flavoured with the perfume. Now cake-filling made from eggs, milk, and flour with flavouring, and also a pastry filled with an almond-flavoured mixture, invented by Count Cesare Frangipani in Rome in 1532.


Thank you, Answers.com.

I've been focusing on looks, how did it taste!? Well really, what do you expect? Awesome, of course! One note--the cookbook says you can keep it at room temp--I would suggest the fridge, especially in this summer heat. The fruit deteriorates quicker than you can eat it, unless you've got a crowd.

No comments: