"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Friday, March 30, 2007

another technical note

You may have noticed that some of my posts seem to be missing some words here and there.

We use CyberSitter, a rather aggressive filter that blocks certain websites and pop-ups from getting through--a pretty important feature if you have kids. One of the other things it does is selectively filters words, which can sometimes seem inexplicable. I couldn't understand why, when reading the newsletter from the Lean Plate Club, sometimes the text would read "Weigh chers". I finally realized that the filter was screening out the word "twat", never mind that it existed like this: "Weight Watchers".

Now I've discovered a new feature to Cybersitter, which is that it apparently screens my blog posts. So far, it doesn't like "girls", "breasts" (perhaps understandably, and why my post on Chicken Kiev was full of holes), and most curiously, "mushrooms".

If I remember to turn Cybersitter off before I post, this isn't a problem, and it's how I've gone back and fixed previous blog posts. But if I forget, and you see a sentence or too that doesn't make sense, just use your dirty imagination and see what you can come up with.

No comments: