"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Friday, March 30, 2007

Avocado, Orange and Jicama Salad

What do you feed a 13 year old boy with a case of the jitters on Opening Night? Steak, I was thinking, or maybe something simple like roasted chicken.

I was mighty surprised when he glanced at the cookbook and picked out Avocado, Orange and Jicama Salad. Oh, I was thinking, he's getting so sophisticated! How many other people have a teenage boy that even knows what jicama is?

That little self-congratulatory fantasy only lasted until he took one bite, looked at me with horror and disgust, and asked what I "did to the salad".

What I did, of course, was dress it with the vinaigrette, which contains curry powder and cumin.

Oh well, baby steps. (and more avocado for me.)

No comments: