"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Grilled Lobster with Orange Chipotle Vinaigrette and Zucchini and Carrot Julienne

Oh. My. God.

That could suffice, right there, as my(our) reaction to the lobster dish.

Let me put it this way. Lobster on its own is mighty tasty--steamed and served up with lemon butter. This dish is beyond tasty. I actually wanted to drink the vinaigrette, and I'm only exaggerating slightly.

Assembling the ingredients was a little time-consuming...Shaw's doesn't have canned chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, so I stopped at Market Basket on the way to see a movie with my friend Ruth. (Shooter, in case you're wondering.) The lobster came from a seafood place in Gloucester. Juice oranges from Stop and Shop. Three different stores for one dish means it's a pain, but a pain I'd undergo again GLADLY.

And I've never grilled lobster before, so-- a new experience for me. And no, you don't just throw the poor babies on the hot grill (and you don't chop them in half alive like my Uncle Mike used to do, or may still for all I know--an event that horrified and fascinated us as children) you parboil them for three minutes, then take off the tails, cut them in half, take off the claws, etc.

The only adjustment I would make is to cook the tails slightly less--at six minutes I thought they were a little chewy, but I did just have 1 1/4 lbs bugs (that's kitchen lingo for you customers)--1 1/2 ones would probably be perfect at six minutes.

Alas, with all that dazzling excellence on the plate, the Zucchini and Carrot Julienne was overshadowed, a mere vehicle for more vinaigrette. What a way to get your vegetables.

No comments: