"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Lemon Thins and Creamed Peas and Cucumbers with Dill

Not that you can really compare cookies and peas, but I'd have to say that if this were a contest, I think I'd go with the peas. Really!

I think it's mostly because I'm not a big fan of peas. Maybe it's that childhood rhyme about eating peas with honey (come on, you know that one, don't you? "I eat my peas with honey; I've done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps them on the knife.") but they just never filled any void that I had in my culinary soul.

So this recipe was a pleasant surprise--first because I've never cooked cucumbers and they were good, second because the combination of just a little cream, then fresh dill and lemon juice lifted those peas right up out of the banal into the really good and tasty.

The Lemon Thins were delectable, of course--what would you expect? I haven't dusted them with confectioner's sugar yet, but they'll be tastier still after that. They did seem to have the slightest, faintest edge of bitterness, though. I had to eat two or three just to confirm that. I think it's on account of the lemon zest--my grater is a little on the coarse side for that sort of thing, and I long for a microplane at work, which I never remember I want except when I'm zesting lemons and then I'm too busy to find a catalog. Shaw's in Beverly, take notice! Stock microplanes and I will buy one.

No comments: