"Perhaps the most impressive of all the cookbook blogs are the three devoted to the 2004 edition of Gourmet magazine's "The Gourmet Cookbook" -- all 5¼ pounds and 1,300-odd recipes of it. Befitting this culinary Everest, all three writers are overachievers in their professional lives."

--Lee Gomes, The Wall Street Journal, May 28, 2008
"I should have told you before how much I've been enjoying reading your thoughts. You seem like such a great cook."

--Ruth Reichl, Editor-in-Chief of Gourmet Magazine, June 8 2008, comment on "Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream".

Monday, March 19, 2007

Brandied Chicken Liver Pate and important recipe correction

Who knew that pate was so easy to make?

Two Christmases ago, when Dr. and Mrs. S.'s grandson J. (who has been to culinary school) asked me if I had made the pate that was on the hors d'oeurves board, I looked at him like he had three heads. That's because when I worked at Yanks, I witnessed the making of what I now know was a fois gras terrine--there was cleaning of lobes and pressing with weights and baking in funny shaped pans. (and if you're wondering, yes there is a recipe for Classic Fois Gras Terrine in the Gourmet Cookbook, so I'll be getting there sooner or later.)

Brandied Chicken Liver Pate was a snap to make. It's basically liver sauteed with finally chopped onions and garlic, with a little Cognac thrown it and reduced. Then you put it all in the food processor with some spices, whirl, and voila! This recipe also calls for plumped currants, which is a funny but tasty addition. Mrs. S. thought they were cute.

My only worry about this dish is that it made four little crocks of pate, and even two enthusiastic eaters (and one enthusiastic cook) can't go through that much pate in three days (the time they list for viability). I gave one to my parents (who fed us cassoulet after work last night--can you see where I get this?) but at work I think I'm going to try to top them with a chicken stock gelatin--another trick I learned at Yanks. This will protect the liver from the air.

Important Recipe Correction!!!!!

My mother informs me that when making the White Trash Cake, it is vital to use only HALF the amount of water for the jello component, otherwise you will have a soupy cake. I know this is only partly true because I made this cake two years ago at Fourth of July for work and it doesn't come out soupy, but all the jello collects at the bottom of the cake pan under the cake and the whole thing is very MOIST. Not a bad thing in the eyes of dry cake haters, but still her counsel is good so take heed all ye White Trash Cake Makers.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

thank goodness I hadn't made the cake yet... (I am still planning to, though.)